Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tidbits from my website, pondlady.com



I have decided to feature a post from my website at http://www.pondlady.com today.  

Most of you who read this blog have a pond, but don't necessarily read the pond info on my website.  The folks who interact at pondlady.com are from all over, usually have ponds or want one and freely share what they have learned or ask what they want to know.  It's a great way to learn how to solve a pond problem, to share photos of your masterpiece or to tell us how you overcame your pond problem.  
The following post showed up this morning, complete with photos of the beautiful, but hungry pond visitor.


From the poster:

I'm in Tennessee this week visiting my brother. While I've been gone, the pump in the pond went bad and my wife had to install my smaller backup. After having just talked about not having predators visit my pond, my wife sent these pictures of a visitor that showed up today. This is a Little Green Heron, about 17 inches tall, so it can't wade in my pond to get fish. It can, however, dive into deep water in an attempt to get fish, but must do so from a high perch and it is often not successful. I could use some culling of the fish from the pond, but I don't want this guy getting used to coming to my yard for his meals. I wonder what green heron tastes like?




And my answer:
He is beautiful! Instead of saying 'Law of the jungle', maybe, we need to start saying 'Law of the pond.'

There's an ugly thing called 'gator guard'. It works. I think Bird X makes it. Here it is

Wow, it has gotten expensive in the past 2 or 3 years. Ouch! But it does work here in Louisiana. Maybe that's cuz we have gators.
Putting ceramic roof tiles in the bottom of the pond so the fish can hide under them can work. I have even put a couple thick rocks with a flat rock on top to make a little bridge in the bottom of the pond so the fish can hide beneath it.


Did you know I wrote a book about ponds?

You can buy my Pond how-to book here

It is consistently in the top ten best sellers in Landscaping. 
It's on sale now for a buck.  Get it before the price goes back up.


And for pond info visit us at pondlady.com  You will find knowledgeable folks there who are glad to answer your questions.

Thank you for stopping by this morning.



No comments: