Sunday, April 08, 2012

The Easter Bunny Visits Today


How do you explain Easter to a youngster? I mean a young youngster, like maybe 6 years old.  

Well, Easter is when the Easter bunny brings you candy, usually candy eggs, but they can be real eggs that are boiled and then painted different colors.  Yes, this particular bunny can lay eggs. How?  Well, I don't know just how he does it, but he does. No, we never see him. It's sorta like Santa Claus, but no sliding down a chimney is required.  The Easter bunny hides eggs around the house and in the yard. Sometimes he hides eggs in public places like the White House lawn and children find them under the watchful eye of the First Lady of the United States.  Yes, the Easter Bunny is male, but yes, he lays eggs.  I know, I know, only female animals can lay eggs and bunnies give birth to live young, but you see, this is different because it's Easter.  Maybe an Easter chicken would be better, but a bunny is what we got.

And another thing.  We have Easter Bunnies made of chocolate and we eat them.  Usually we eat the ears first - at least 76% of us do.  The rest of us start eating somewhere else.  But he returns yearly with more eggs. 

Confused?  Me too.

And Easter means something else to much of the population, but certainly not all of it.  Those same folks who eat chocolate, male bunnies who lay eggs also think that some guy who was executed 2000 years ago, came back to life one day three days after he died.  So they celebrate that and call it Easter. I guess I would celebrate too if I came back to life after being dead for three days.   What does that have to do with male bunnies who lay eggs?  Not a damn thing that I can come up with.

More confused now?  Yup, me too.

And which story is more confusing?  Damned if I know.  You choose.

No comments: