Thursday, August 12, 2010

Help, there's a hole in my pond

Help! I think there is a hole in my pond?
Since my parents separated, my mother left me with the care of her backyard pond. I can't exactly tell you how big it is, but it's built in a very large kidney shape. It has a blue liner and is also stocked with plants and fish.

However, yesterday I went outside to check on it and I found the water VERY low. I have the pond built on levels, almost like steps. But the first level of the pond was completely dry and the water was very low. So I filled it with a hose since I don't have a pump running. And then I left it go - it didn't seem to be draining anywhere. I looked around the pond and didn't find any grass wet. So I thought it just evaporated because of the hot weather. 

Then I went outside earlier this morning and found the water low again - but not as low as it was yesterday.

Is that a sign of a hole or do you think it's just the hot weather? It's such a big pond and a hole seems to be a real hard thing to find. . .
Help please?


  • I doubt it's a hole. The water went out too fast for that. Did you have the pump turned on? Turn off all pumps and look at the pond tomorrow morning. If the water level goes down with the pump off, you have a leak. 
  • If that liner is a swimming pool liner and it sounds like it is, perhaps you can find some patching material for it. I'm sure it can be bought at any swimming pool place.
  • Check here for directions on how to find a leak. 
  • http://www.pondlady.com/Articles/pondlea…

No comments: