Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bleach in the pond

Will putting bleach in a small pond damage the pond's pump?
I've got a small pond with a waterfall feature. I recently took everything out (water, rocks, etc), cleaned it, and installed a new pump. After a week of hot weather the algae bloomed and took over the pond. I was able to scoop out the majority of it and killed the remaining algae with bleach.

My question, is this harmful to the $70 pump that I just bought from Home Depot? I know that algaecide is a better solution, but bleach is very inexpensive and seems to work. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Answer:

Bleach will not hurt your pump at all. Keep using it as long as it works.


2 comments:

Cat said...

I thought you were supposed to use kosher salt and water hyacinth for algae. Maybe I'm just being all crunchy granola about this, but how good is beach for your long term environment? Surly you have to dump the water out somewhere and that cant be good.

Unknown said...

If this were a pond with plants and fish, yes, hyacinths. No salt tho.
This is a fountain (although not specified, I admit. Bleach is better than chlorine and dissipates quickly.

I love that you left a comment. I sometimes wonder if anyone at all reads theses pearls of wisdom .
Jan