Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cleaning a Muddy Pond

How can I properly remove thick, swampy mud from the bottom of my garden pond?
All the water from my garden pond has gone, it is now quarter-full with a green-black, thick mud. What is the best way to get rid of this, so i can either remove my pond, or refill it with water?
Thanks.

Answer:
If you don't want your pond anymore, just fill it up with sand and soil. If you do want to keep your pond, you can shovel it out. You can also try this which may work. Fill the pond up with water, then using a utility pump, start pumping. Keep filling it with water as the pump keeps working. You can probably get much of the muddy water out. Then use a wet vacuum to get the rest.

To find more pond information, go to pondlady.com

2 comments:

sockyee said...

I was looking for some cross referenced information for my blog about how to deal with muddy pond until I arrive at your site. Is it possible that other than refilling with water, I could just get some chemicals that can dissolve the thick mud and make the pumping job becomes easier? I find that it is always a tough routine job trying to get around solving this problem. Any other ideas which you think can work and further help to make the task become easier?

Unknown said...

Every pond keeper wishes there were some chemical that would do that. You can try Sludge-Away by Microbe-Lift. As good as that is, it won't do the entire job. Figure on cleaning out the pond yearly. It's stinky job, but worth it. Check my website at http://www.pondlady.com for more tips and articles.