Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Swim Bladder Disease

QUESTION:

I have some fairly good sized gold fish in my pond..all of which appear
healthy. One in particular, about an 8 incher, will occasionally float on
the surface, almost flat on its side. Thinking "oh no, I've lost one," I
go poke it and it will wiggle slightly. After another poke or two it will
take off like it just woke up or something. Is this something normal? There's
no apparent disease or fungus anywhere on the fish and no cloudy eyes, etc.
I am relieved when it shoots off but am wondering if its sick and will
turn up dead one of these times.
Any thoughts....


ANSWER FROM A PONDPEOPLE MEMBER:

It's called swim-bladder disease and it isn't fatal but it also is not
curable. I was just at a show in Oregon over the weekend talking to the
goldfish judges and other experts. They say they have kept fish for a
very long time with it as long as they are able to eat. The fancy
goldfish (Ranchu, Oranda, and other big-bodied Chinese varieties) have
about a 5-year life span anyway. Not all will get this problem, but it is
prevalent in the larger species because of their breeding.

No comments: