Tuesday, August 01, 2006

need help with updating my pond

Hi Jan,

I am 53. I have a pond that is approximately 6' y 8', 24 to 38" depth, with a small 3-4'waterfall that I have enjoyed off my deck for now over 11 years. We originally put it in ourselves, with a simple bucket filter with the pump, lava rocks and bio-balls. My waterfall is leaking now (younger daughter tried to repair but broke a critical rock), and the pond liner is old. I am also having difficulty with pulling the huge bucket in and our of the pond. I don't have a drain in the pond, which some people say is critical. Many of my original plants have expanded beyond their containers. I used to have Koi, but I live less than a mile from a Heron preserve (Chatfield Resevior, in Littleton, Colorado. I now live alone, so things must be easy. I know I should not get it fixed without replacing the near-out-dated liner. I don't know how big a pond needs to be to have an out of pond filter, or whether I truly need a drain I'm a single Mom with two girls in college, and I'm worried about people taking advantage, but I would love for my pond to continue to prosper for many years, with greater ease in me caring for it. Can you help with these questions? I am willing to increase the pond size somewhat. Can you recommend any companies in my area that are honest and reliable. I would also love to re-introduce Koi, but if there isn't a sure fire way to protect them, without diminishing significantly, the aesthetics of my pond, I am all ears. We had no problems till 5 years ago when run-off with rivers was high, and then the Herons hit all ponds in this area. The problem is: they never forget. I could use your help.

Hi Denise,

Congratulations for keeping that pond going for 11 years. Many liners fail before that long. You are right re doing any repairing without replacing the liner and that is one expensive task. Every single thing has to be removed just to get to the liner. So it is more expensive to replace the liner than it was to build the pond to begin with. Here in New Orleans, it would be several thousand dollars to do what you want. If you want to replace the liner, be prepared. I would look for a reputable company through the Colorado Water Garden Society...the oldest in the country. They should know someone.
I might think about rerouting a hose to the waterfall rather than doing the liner replacement. If you want an out of pond filter, they are pretty easy to install...usually behind the waterfall. There are filters from a few hundred dollars to combination UV light and filters for many thousands. I would not worry about a bottom drain.....if the pond needs cleaning, that can be done for not much money. No matter what you do, you take a chance with Koi....you already know that you would be opening a new sushi bar for your nearby herons.
There is a product called GatorGuard...an alligator head about 34" long with bright yellow eyes that works well here in the south. I wonder if Denver herons would recognize an alligator? Maybe. You could try. It might be a genetic memory.

Jan

No comments: