Wednesday, March 07, 2012

I really have no excuse for neglecting this blog for so long.  We are in the midst of leaving this house near New Orleans and living full time in Mountain View, Arkansas as we both retire.  The house there is smaller and easier to take care of.  And it has a pond. A natural one where turtles live, deer and other critters drink out of. Occasionally a cow wanders in for a taste as well. It's free range country and our 6.5 acres is open to all.  I love it.  It will be difficult to leave our house of 6 years after Katrina and my home of 40 years, but I love Arkansas and the lovely small townness of Mountain View.
The pond here will not stay. I originally built it as a temporary pond. It's a huge blue pot sitting in a round Rubbermaid horse trough.  I will make the trip with me one of these times when I drive up there. I will have photos when it gets set up.
Have a wonderful time getting your pond up and ready for spring. This is such an exciting time of year.

4 comments:

Clara Walmsley said...

I wonder if you might answer a question for me ? I inherited a sugar kettle pond when I moved into my house in New Orleans and I am having a severe rust problem. It needs to be painted but I have no idea who does this or how to do it myself. Any ideas ? Want you to know that I have read some of your pond tips and can't tell you how helpful they have been. Good luck with your move and keep blogging :) Thanks, Clara

Unknown said...

This is a tough problem that happens to everyone who has a converted sugar kettle. Here's what I do. Use a heavy duty metal brush to remove the rust and then repaint with Rustoleum. It does not hurt your fish or plants. Sadly, you have to do it almost yearly. Maybe you have a neighborhood teen who needs some work?

I often advocate that you just get a fiberglas knock off if you want a sugar kettle pond.

Susan Taylor Brown said...

It's going to be hard to leave but what an exciting adventure ahead of you. I envy you that open space and a pond with turtles! Sigh. For now my pondless features for the birds and my pot pond (wine barrel) will have to do. My yard is too tiny.

Unknown said...

Susan, you can have a living pond if you wish....and in a casserole dish if you like.
Check at www.pondlady.com under 'photo gallery' on the left sidebar. That casserole has been a pond for years now.