Thursday, November 16, 2006

Perennial of the year


Nepeta or catmint was just named perennial of the year. It's a member of the mint family and grows everywhere. There are lavender blue ones that are a great substitute for lavender plants that hate our summer heat and bad drainage. It has great grey green foliage and sprawls. Because of that sprawling habit, it's a great plant for next to the pond. It will drape over and look great.
It will also attract every cat within 10 miles. Use at your own risk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grwo some catmint and do attract a couple of neighborhood cats. All I ask for in return is that they keep the rabbits away!

Unknown said...

I love catmint as well. I know how invasive it is, but figure it can cover a multitude of sins in the garden. As a lazy gardener, I love it.