Monday, November 13, 2006

Formal ponds


This is a huge formal pond in a courtyard of Trinity Episcopal Church in New Orleans. I did not build it but took care of it for years. One of the particular problems with this pond was the lime leaching out of the concrete. It was improperly sealed and the pot at the top had so much lime in it, there were calcium deposits on it that had to be removed yearly. It looked like it had the chicken pox. Since the pond was always planted and in use for ceremonies, I could not have it emptied and sealed although that would have been the best way to deal with the problems. I hauled a gallon of vinegar with me and poured it in the water weekly. That kept the plants alive and looking great. Of course the courtyard always smelled like a Caesar Salad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow... a whole gallon of vinegar a week to balance it out?!

What was the fate of this courtyard fountain, by the way? Do you know, post-Katrina? (If you don't even want to think about it or haven't wanted to go back and check, I completely understand. I'm just curious about it since I haven't heard much about the gardening losses in that are since the storm first hit, and I wonder about that occasionally.)